Traditions:
Beliefs or customs taught by one generation to the next, often orally. For example, we can speak of the tradition of sending birth announcements.
A set of customs or practices. For example, we can speak of Thanksgiving traditions.
I love this time of year…..The weather is turning and it becomes that time of year when traditions are replayed. I came from a family with no traditions, sad but true. But, what that did for me, was make me so aware that families are woven into traditions. My husband’s family is very traditional, and it wasn’t until his grandmother Mamaw, became unable to host Thanksgiving that I was woven into the tradition. Other life changes have moved me tighter into the weave. Our home is now the gathering place for the family. I love that family comes here, to break bread and eat a mountain of turkey, with those we just had dinner with 2 weeks ago. They’ll be here, later in the week to have turkey enchiladas from the leftovers. Thanksgiving has always been Gary’s favorite holiday…Everyone is here, and having a good time. He doesn’t see the work that goes into it, or the work after the meal, but that’s okay, it’s a guy thing. The traditional purple Jell-O salad that was Beverly’s favorite will be on the table, Mamaws red pickle dish with bread and butter pickles, my mom’s crystal bowl will have the vegetables in it, and there will be olives in the stuffing from my grandmother’s recipe. This year our families a little smaller around the table, with a little more elbow room. Our son has chosen to start his own tradition, with Thanksgiving at his house, with his family. He has always been a good cook when it came to a bar-be -cue, but a bird he’s never tackled, or all the other goodies. I guess his traditions will start this year with on the job training, I hope he knows to defrost his turkey in the refrigerator, to pull out the neck & the giblets. But then what is Thanksgiving with out a few surprises?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment